Zachary (Zach) S. Stern is an experienced patent attorney specializing in preparing and prosecuting patent applications and reexaminations. He regularly counsels clients on practical aspects of enforcement, licensing, product design alternatives and responding to challenges from competitors.
His understanding of complex technologies and practical experience, built from years of engineering experience, enables him to communicate effectively with scientists, inventors and business leaders to create and enforce the broadest patents possible to meet their business goals.
Mr. Stern has represented a broad range of foreign and domestic clients, helping them protect their innovations. He has detailed experience in both consumer and industrial technologies, including:
- Image and video processing
- Satellite and terrestrial communication systems
- Communication terminal and base stations
- Portable cellular communication and computing
- Semiconductor device fabrication
- Wind and diesel power generators
- Aircraft equipment and avionics
- Factory automation systems
Prior to becoming a patent attorney, Mr. Stern had nearly two decades of engineering experience working with Fairchild Industries, Orbital Sciences Corporation and Smiths Aerospace in the capacity of principle engineer, engineering manager and program director.
With a formal education in control algorithms and artificial intelligence, Mr. Stern developed:
- Custom integrated circuits
- High-density and ruggedized electronic packaging
- Aircraft, satellite and vehicles sub-systems
- Satellite and radio vehicle tracking and communication systems
- A variety of software applications for:
- Strategic simulation
- Locale visualization
- Mission planning
During his tenure as chief software architect for a large, multi-national simulation project, Mr. Stern worked on detailed aircraft simulation models that utilized dynamic input from human actors. He also managed an engineering development program to provide urban mass transit system operators with AI tools to help their dispatchers efficiently correct service issues.
- George Washington University Law School (J.D.)
- University of Maryland (M.S.)
- Electrical Engineering
- University of Virginia (B.S.)
- Electrical Engineering
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- American Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Virginia State Bar
- Licensing Executives Society (LES)